The support of our Friends makes a vital difference to our work, helping us to preserve this beautiful building for future generations.
The history of Victoria Baths
Victoria Baths opened its doors to the public in 1906, providing spacious facilities for swimming, bathing and leisure. No expense was spared, and today you can still see the rich terracotta, decorative stained glass, sumptuous tiles and mosaics as you step inside.
Manchester City Council closed the baths in 1993. Ever since then, the Friends of Victoria Baths and the Victoria Baths Trust have been campaigning to save the building and to re-open the Turkish Baths and at least one of the pools. (See the timeline under "Our Story" on the Restoration tab to see how far we have come since 1993.)
We are now planning the next major phase of restoration for Victoria Baths. More information soon.
What type of Membership is right for me?
Benefits of Friends' Membership
Friends membership comes with a range of benefits, including:
- regular newsletters and updates
- free entry to our Open Days and guided tours
- exclusive events
- opportunity to join the Friends' Forum
Friends Forums will take place on the following Wednesdays in 2019 in Victoria Baths Project Office, all Friends and Volunteers very welcome to join in. Sandwiches for lunch are provided after the morning meetings.
1 May 6-7.30pm
5 June 11am-12.30
3 July 6-7.30pm
7 August 11am-12.30
4 September 6-7.30pm
2 October 11am-12.30
6 November 6-7.30pm
4 December 11am-12.30, followed by the Volunteer's Christmas Party
Become a Restoration Supporter
If you contribute at least £5 a month by Standing Order you will be enrolled as one of our Restoration Supporters. As a Restoration Supporter you will receive all the same benefits as Friends of Victoria Baths, in addition to:
- Restoration Newsletters bringing updates on restoration,
- Invitations to special events, including an annual visit to Victoria Baths to see the progress of the restoration,
- Acknowledgement on our thank you page on the website (unless you prefer your support to be anonymous).
Funds donated by Restoration Supporters go directly into the Trust's Building Fund. So far, Restoration Supporters have donated over £50,000 to this fund. This has supported much needed restoration work, including:
- the restoration of the windows in the Turkish Rest Room including the Angel of Purity window
- refurbishment of the orginal poolside toilets in the Males 1st Class and Gala pool to create visitor toilets
- reinstatement of basement windows that had been bricked up
- restoration of the AQUA and ZEPHYR stained glass windows in the Gala pool
How to join
It is easy to sign up as a Friend or Restoration Supporter - just print off and complete the application form in the Downloads section below and return it with either a cheque or set up a standing order with your Bank.